During Memorial Day weekend, many families choose to take a mini vacation, head to the lake, or visit family out of town. But for some, a weekend getaway might just not be in the budget this year.
If you’re looking for Memorial Day fun on a budget, try out one of these pocketbook-friendly ideas:
- Honor the true meaning of the holiday. Memorial Day isn’t just a long weekend – it’s a time to remember and honor those who have lost their lives serving in our nation’s military.
Take some time to pay respects to those who have served. Leave flowers or flags on military members’ graves at your local cemetery, or look for other meaningful volunteer opportunities in your community.
- Make a festive dessert. Surf the web for creative, patriotic dessert ideas to enjoy with the whole family. Everyone can pitch in to bring your creation to life!
- Visit a nearby National Park. Most National parks have minimal entry fees. Take a day trip to your closest National Park and spend some quality time with the family outdoors.
- Fire up the grill. Dust off that grill and have a backyard barbeque! Keep it to just family, or invite your friends and neighbors for fun and fellowship. Ask visitors to bring a side or some yard games for an inexpensive good time.
- Try a DIY craft project. Making a themed craft can be fun for the whole family. You can find tutorials online for all kinds of DIY projects, like tissue paper poppies or start-studded paper lanterns. Hit up your local dollar store for supplies, or use what you have at home.
- Look out for local events. Many cities host Memorial Day events, parades, or services that are free and open to the public. A quick internet search will yield a list of events near you!